74

Department store, Marunouchi

Autumn

Passing by Daimaru’s storefront is a procession of office workers heading to Marunouchi’s Rail and subway stations after a day of work.

Notes

Daimaru traces its history to Dai-Monjiya, a dry goods store in Kyoto founded by Shimomura Hikoemon Masahiro in 1717. The name “Daimaru” was first used for a store in Nagoya called Daimaruya, which opened in 1728. The chain was incorporated in 1907 and reincorporated as Daimaru Dry Goods K.K. in 1920, changing its name to Daimaru in 1928.